Wednesday, 28 September 2011

Full colour HD living starts

Today Full Colour HD living starts … have a new bike and fancy new pedals that keep your shoes stuck on them .. and have the shoes that go with.  Am not so sure about this being stuck to my bike. What if I fall? What if I get hurt? Hmmm.


I’d spent an hour or so last night clinging on to my lounge wall .. not ‘cause I was drunk or anything but practising cleating in and uncleating.  … a few adjustments to the tension of these pedal (please don’t ask anything I have no idea – my BFF Gerhard did the technical bits) made it a bit easier and I got the hang of it. But now I was heading out to Northern Farms to ride with them .. this is where the rubber hits the tarmac or perhaps the arm-shoulder-wrist-knee-all the above would hit the dirt-grass or whatever other terrain I was like to fall on.

We left the carpark and all was well.  This is quite an event, as we know several people who’ve come unstuck so to speak in the carpark / driveways.  So I was on a high. We rode down to the first dam where we’ve seen the hippo before and I uncleated timeously like it was something I was born to do. Oh what a feeling. What joy.  My new bike is out of this world. Seriously I have no words to describe how it feels to ride her.  My best attempt is that she was made for me. Riding this Ghost is fluid, like water gently flowing downstream, almost poetic – it may not look like to the observers, but that’s the way it feels.
Not long thereafter I came crashing to reality. Literally.  I had made it through the switchback forest without a hitch, but coming to stop at the end of it I uncleated my right foot but for some reason felt the need to go left and so fell. My first fall in cleats and it wasn’t particularly graceful or spectacular.  I managed to get up and after some examination found nothing to prove I’d fallen. 


We ride on some more through all the usual terrain until we come to my nemesis. I cant up this darn short sharp incline with root obstacle at the top. There’s something about losing momentum riding over it combined with the fact that I watch it for too long.  So I decide that I must give it a try – I’ve got a better, lighter bike now.  But as a precaution I won’t cleat in – that way if I don’t make it I won’t fall. So I begin to pedal but I hear a now familiar click, I’m cleated in. Oh ok. Well best I just pedal.  Well I make to the top, over the root. Woo hoo. BUT I look down when I reach the top and wobble and fall. Fortunately it’s into a thick grass section. I’m beginning to giggle and soon laughing so much that Grems has to stop taking photos (thank goodness) and come twist my foot out and lift my bike off me. 


We ride and ride and ride.  Grems leaves me for dust on the one downhill and I slowly make my way down as the grader has come and messed up one of my favourite single tracks. At the bottom I find Grems chatting away to two guys.  Now everyone know that I talk a lot, but there really is someone who can talk more than me. Get Grems started about bikes or races or Swaziland and I promise you I can’t talk that much. The two chaps eventually head off and we carry on as well.   

We’re going up RollerCoaster and to my surprise these two guys come flying down. Grems has stopped because someone from work has phoned and I know I must just keep pedalling up and up and up – he’ll catch me in no time.  I get to the top of Lower Rollercoaster and I wait. And wait and wait.  I decide to set up a photoshoot of Hope and take a couple of photos. Then I wait and wait and wait some more. Should I just head on into the single track or wait. Hmm.  Then I see the white helmet and he arrives. He took the guys to the one technical single track at Northern Farm as they’d missed it earlier.  He’s so kind.

We ride through the last of the single track sections before heading back to the carpark.

It’s been awesome. Riding a Ghost is like nothing I’ve ever experienced before.  She really is just right for me. And the cleats experience: well I don’t know why the guys didn’t tell me about them before, they’re great. hahahaha (if they're reading this they're reaching out to smack me).   I can clip in and out quite quickly and haven’t yet had the problem of stopping and then having to think about uncleating.  My problem has been unclipping and overbalancing on the opposite site.

Full colour HD living has begun. And I’m loving it.

No comments:

Post a Comment