Wednesday, 4 July 2012

Floating bridges and shebeens at night

Somewhere along the way we found out about a night race and so off we trekked to the middle of nowhere for the ASG Night Race at Rosemary Hill.  I was a tad apprehensive as the only night rides I’ve done have been after several laps during the day so you’re familiar with the route and the terrain, but this one would be completely unseen.  It didn’t help that I also had a touch of vertigo and every time I moved I felt as though I was drunk. But we were here, it was time and so off we went. 


Bela, Tracey and me at the back –as usual.  What a whole lot of fun. 
There was lots of chirping amongst the three of us on a wide range of topics.  The important thing that came out of this was that if it wasn’t for the gutter, Bela’s mind would be homeless J she really kept us entertained.  At some stage, probably only 5-6km into the 21km race we realized that while we were the last in the race, we were not alone.  Josias had been tasked with being the sweeper and he caught up to us pretty early on in and the poor guy had been suffering silently listening to us jabbering along the way. And he wasn’t the only one.  Sound travels – especially at night and so the marshalls could also hear us.  There was no worry about where the last ladies were – you just had to listen and you could hear us. 

Last year Grems had told me that racing at night was  the best because you tend to go faster than in the day and you attempt more things than in the day because you don’t really see them until you’ve ridden them.  And I certainly have found this to be true.  Especially the floating bridge.  We found out as we arrived that there was a floating bridge but couldn’t make out whether or not there was a ‘chicken run’ alternative. Some said yes, some said no.  So with this uncertainty we gamely kept pedaling and then we arrived (finally) at it.  No chicken run.  You have to ride it.  Um ok. So I was the first to go.  It’s pitch black all around us, except for these 2 strands of ribbon lights that light up the edge of the floating bridge. Keep between them and all is well. Pedal fast says the dude who’s manning the generator.  As I head off he tells me to pedal much faster than that.  Momentum is your friend.  You do not want to stop on the bridge – it will sink.  I pedal and pedal taking care to look ahead (I hear Sean Badenhorst’s voice in my head- look ahead) and try to stay between the lights.  And I made it. Wooo hoooo. You have never heard a cheer that loud from me. Wow Wow Wow.  Then Tracey rode over. Then Bela. We all made it.  Except the Sweeper.  He found the chicken run.  We chirped him and carried on, but no he was not going to  go back and ride it.

One of the other highlights of this race is the shebeen. I kid you not.  About 2km before the end they’ve set up a boma, with bonfire and a shebeen – beer, shooters whatever you like.  We were so chuffed with ourselves that we all incl Andrew the barman, knocked back 2 shooters each. And staggered back to our bikes.  Eventually we arrived at the end.  O what fun.  Not sure if poor Josias will ever offer to be sweeper again though.

No comments:

Post a Comment